Minoxidil is one of the most popular products which helps in the restoration of lost hair. This product comes in the form of gel, foam, serums and it is applied topically to your scalp.
There are many clinical trails that proves how minoxidil supports and helps to stop hair loss caused by androgenic alopecia. Minoxidil is most effective medicine that helps in restoring the hair growth.
In this article you learn more about minoxidil uses, its effectiveness, results, side effects and more.
What Is Minoxidil?
Minoxidil is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved drug. Initially this medicine is taken orally to cure hypertension. Minoxidil also used to treat patterned hair loss, baldness at the temple region. 2% minoxidil solution is used to produce hair growth in men and women with thinning hair. Some observations prove that patients with hypertension under the medication with minoxidil had good amount of hair, as a result of this a topical formula was developed for treating hair loss without any side effects.
Read more about PRP Hair Loss Treatment in Hyderabad
How Does Minoxidil Work?
Hair follicle goes through three main phases: anagen, catagen and telogen. Each and every follicle are not in the same phase at once. Anagen is the phase where hair growth starts. Minoxidil is very effective in early anagen phase.
Anagen phase is known as hair growing phase where the hair growth gets started. By applying minoxidil to your scalp, you can see the extend length during this phase.
Telogen phase is known as resting phase of your hair. In clinical trails it is come to know that minoxidil shortened the telogen phase which is usually, 20 days to 1 to 2 days.
When applying minoxidil to the scalp, it activates minoxidil sulphate with the help of some enzymes, minoxidil is a vasodilator which dilates blood vessels so that the flow of the blood is easy where ever you apply it. An increased blood circulation on the scalp increases the hair growth. Also helps in nutrient supply available to the hair follicles. Minoxidil also activates the hair follicle to telogen phase (resting phase) to anagen phase (growth phase). It also stimulates the hair follicles and increases the length and thickness of the follicle.
Read more about Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Hair Growth
What Are The Uses Of Minoxidil?
Minoxidil gel, foam, solution is used to helps in regrowth of lost hair and helps in thinning hair. Minoxidil effectively helps in treating male and female pattern baldness. It may not used for sudden or patchy hair loss, unexplained hair loss, post pregnancy hair loss.
Minoxidil can control hair loss very effectively, and also improves hair fall and hair thinning within few months. Continuous usage will give you the existing hairs with thicker and healthier than before. It also works on early stages of balding, and also receding hairline in the early stages. Alone minoxidil cannot be an effective option, trichologist may recommend combination treatments.
How to Use Minoxidil For Hair Loss?
Minoxidil can apply twice a day on your scalp or as directed by your dermatologist.
Here are few steps to apply Minoxidil while using this solution:
- Make sure that your scalp is clean and dry before applying the medication.
- Ensure that you apply prescribed amount or few drops of solution to your scalp at the affected area.
- Gently rub on the affected area with the solution.
- Do not shampoo your hair for at least 4 to 5 hours, and allow the solution to dry completely.
- After applying the solution, wash your hands immediately.
- It is better to apply the solution at night time, if the solution gets dry.
- Do not touch your hair when it is wet there might be chance of spreading it to other parts of your face.
Here are few steps to apply Minoxidil while using foam:
- Divide your hair in to 3 to 4 sections and apply to the affected area of your scalp.
- Apply the foam ang gently massage your scalp.
- Avoid medication getting close to your eyes.
- Wash your hands immediately after applying.
- Let the foam dry and do not touch it, when compare to the solution foam sets faster.
How Long Does Minoxidil Starts Working?
Minoxidil shows its effectiveness gradually, at initial stages of application you might observe losing more hair than usual. This hair shedding is activating the hairs already in the resting phase to shed early and allows new hair to grow healthier in anagen phase, you need be patient while using minoxidil.
You may notice the results approximately with in 3-4 months to one year. Consistency in usage is important. Minoxidil is effective in treating baldness near the crown and the top of the head. The stimulation of your hair growth is persistent as long as you use this minoxidil. Results for minoxidil varies from person to person.
What Are The Side Effects Of Minoxidil?
Minoxidil shows effectiveness for hair regrowth and come up with minimal side effects.
The common side effects of topical minoxidil are:
- Burning, stinging or redness at the site of application may occur. This is very common at the initial stages of usage, if these effects become worse than before seek your dermatologist help.
- In some cases, you may have itching, swelling, flaking, scaling, shortness in breathing, rash on your scalp.
- Some may have dizziness, fatigue, fainting, swelling in hands or legs may stop the medication and immediately take help from your dermatologist.
- In case you’re under any other medication you must take suggestion from your doctor before using minoxidil to avoid any complications.
- Minoxidil causes an increase in blood supply, which also increase your heart rate. As a result, there may be chance of getting chest pain and heart related problems.
- In rare cases, you may experience headache, irregular heartbeat, swollen hand/feet, fatigue etc, then consult your dermatologist.
Is Minoxidil Safe For Long Term Use?
Yes, usage of minoxidil is safe for long-term and many users who are using it for long time share their experience that they do not show any side effects for this product using for many years.
But it is very important that pregnant women and lactating mothers should avoid using this product.
Hair loss and hair thinning is very common problem suffers many people; we have many solutions to treat your hair solutions. Visit your nearest clinic and find out weather minoxidil is suitable to you are not.