Scalp folliculitis – sounds strange, right? It’s a kind of scalp inflammation that occurs on one or more hair follicles. Itchy scalp and white patches on the scalp are the very vital symptoms of this scalp folliculitis disease. Do you have an itchy scalp, & you are worried that might be due to this scalp disease? Continue reading this article to figure out – what is Scalp Folliculitis, the detailed symptoms of this scalp inflammation, and the treatment to cure this problem.
Scalp folliculitis formation is not only limited to the head, rather it can form anywhere, as it is an infection in hair follicles. Once this disease started, it can cause a burning sensation on the scalp and severe itchiness which results in red tender spots. In certain cases, this will also lead to severe pain and hair fall, so once you encounter this scalp inflammation, it’s better to consult your dermatologist at the earliest.
What Is Scalp Folliculitis?
Scalp Folliculitis is an inflammation occurring on the scalp which affects the hair follicles and this leads to the formation of painful small lumps on the scalp. These lumps can give an itchy and burning sensation.
This scalp inflammation can also lead to heavy hair fall which leaves small patches of baldness, where the follicles are affected. The most severe case of Scalp Folliculitis is called “acne necrotics miliaris” or “proprionibacterium folliculitis”. This is the extreme condition where the small lumps on the head become very large which leads to heavy hair fall. And this leaves a permanent scar and gives you a complete bald. This type of serious condition is very difficult to treat!
What Causes Scalp Folliculitis?
Scalp inflammation on hair follicles is caused due to the invasion & growth of micro-organisms onto the scalp which affects the hair follicles. Microorganisms include:-
What Causes the Invasion of Micro-Organisms on the Scalp?
If you’re thinking about how these yeast, mites, and bacteria are invaded your scalp & using it as a growing ground, continue reading the below-given causes for the invasion of Microorganisms:-
- If you are using public bathtubs, swimming pools, all these will act as the best breeding spots for the growth of microorganisms. So, make sure to properly clean your hair and body using anti-bacterial products as prescribed by your doctor.
- Don’t use the same shaving razors, as it is considered to be unhygienic and can promote the growth of microorganisms. If you are using reusable razors, then make sure to clean them after every use.
- Patients with diseases such as HIV & AIDS can also have scalp infections
- If you are using any hair care products, make sure to wash your scalp thoroughly and keep your hair always free from hair styling products, because those products can block the root of hair follicles and this can also lead to scalp folliculitis.
- If there is an open wound or razor cut on the scalp, then it can also be the starting point for bacterium formation.
What Are The Symptoms Of Scalp Folliculitis?
When compared to other scalp diseases, the symptoms found for Scalp Folliculitis are somewhat different. So, you can identify easily whether you are the victim of this scalp disease or not. For your reference, here we have listed out a few of the symptoms below:
- Continuously itchiness in scalp
- Enlarge red pimples or lumps on the scalp
- Painful & itchy scalp accompanied with hair loss
Can Scalp Folliculitis Cause Hair Loss?
Obviously, yes! Since scalp Folliculitis can cause an itchy scalp, automatically it will kick start hair fall. The formation of microorganisms spread throughout the scalp and affects the natural hair cycle. This affects the hair growth and makes the existing hair lose its strength and this results in hair loss. Once this disease becomes severe, it’s hardly difficult for the hair follicles to regenerate and bounce back to normal hair growth. If it’s treated on time, there is a chance for your hair to gain its natural texture.
Treatments for Scalp Folliculitis
Scalp Folliculitis is a bit difficult to treat, once if it’s reached the severe stage, but mostly this disease is curable. Before you start using any hair care products or treatment for this scalp inflammation, you need to discuss with your doctor or Trichologists to perform a test to identify the name of the microorganism which affects your hair follicles. Because, based on the microorganism, the treatment options will also vary. Below we have outlined a few of the treatments to cure scalp folliculitis which gives quicker and safer results.
PRP Treatment – This treatment works better as a post-infection control. This PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is an advanced hair loss and hair thinning treatment to be used to induces the regrowth of hair by injecting plasma-rich blood into the scalp. In case, if you feel any difficulty in getting your natural hair back after the treatment & cure of Scalp Folliculitis, then your Trichologists will suggest this treatment for you. This treatment promotes faster hair growth and gives new refreshment to the hair follicles.
Hair Transplant – It’s a surgical procedure under this hair grafts are removed from healthy hair areas and then be transplanted into the bald patches. And this stimulates new hair growth even in baldheads.
Topical & Oral Medicines
In today’s market, you can find “N” number of antibiotic solutions to overcome this scalp inflammation. While you are in search of ointment or other antibiotic solutions, then you can look for the one which contains: clindamycin solution, fusidic acid gel, and erythromycin are these are the excellent medicine to cure scalp inflammation.
Instead of using normal shampoos, you can use anti-dandruff shampoos which contains ciclopirox and ketoconazole, as, it is considered as antifungal agents, which would be helpful for treating infection.
You can use ointments on the itchy area or over the small lumps. As some of the ointments for scalp folliculitis contains steroids, it’s better to use them after the doctor’s suggestion.
You can intake oral medicines with antibiotic factors – such as penicillin, dicloxacillin, vancomycin, or methicillin which helps to treat the fungal infection on the hair strands and hair follicles
How to Prevent Hair Loss Due To Scalp Folliculitis?
Here are some of the basic hair care tips which you can follow to stay away from scalp infection & hair loss:-
- Maintain a good hair care routine by keeping your hair neat to prevent any bacterial formation on the hair follicles.
- Clean and replace the razors, combs, and other hair tools after every use, as these can attract bacteria or any other microorganisms which can lead to scalp infection
- After taking bath in public areas or after taking bath in the swimming pool, make sure to wash your body and scalp thoroughly using anti-fungal shampoos.
- People who are suffering from dry hair are most prone to have scalp infections and hair loss, so drink more water and keep yourself hydrated always.
- As scalp folliculitis infection can spread from one person to another very faster, take necessary measures to stay away from them. Don’t use the same comb, towel, or other hair tools.
That’s it! Hope now you are clear on what scalp folliculitis is and how to treat it. If you are having any symptoms regarding scalp folliculitis, then it’s better to get the consolation from now itself! Discuss with your dermatologist or Trichologist at ChooseClinic to find out the root cause for this inflammation & start the right treatment to maintain your treasury curls for a long time!