WHAT IS KERATIN? HOW DOES IT HELP YOUR HAIR?
Having beautiful hair can make a big impact on your overall appearance and confidence. Whether it’s long and luscious locks or short and sassy, having hair that looks and feels good can elevate your mood and help you feel your best. However, maintaining the health and beauty of your hair can be a challenge. From split ends and frizz to damage from heat styling and environmental factors, it’s important to give your hair the care it needs to look and feel its best.
Know more about How to Grow Hair Faster?
In this blog, we’ll explore one hair care method for keeping your hair healthy and beautiful, regardless of hair type or length. And the method is none other than keratin treatment.
We are sure you have come across the term keratin treatment so many times lately. Sometimes you even have given it thought to get a keratin treatment done. But the question, of whether it is safe for your hair might have stopped you.
After reading this article there will be no doubt left in your mind about the keratin treatment we promise. So sit back, relax, and let’s get ready to transform your hair into a stunning, luscious mane!
WHAT IS KERATIN?
Keratin is a tough structural protein that is the main component of nails and hairs in humans. It provides strength and toughness to these structures and helps to protect them from damage and wear.
THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF KERATIN
Keratin is a complex protein composed of amino acids. Its chemical composition includes a high proportion of cysteine and other sulfur-containing amino acids, which form strong disulfide bonds between the protein fibers. These bonds contribute to the structural stability and toughness of keratin. The exact composition of keratin can vary depending on the specific tissue or structure in which it is found.
WHAT IS KERATIN TREATMENT?
Keratin treatment, also known as a Brazilian blowout, is a cosmetic hair treatment that is used to smooth and straighten frizzy or curly hair. The treatment involves applying a solution containing keratin protein to the hair, which is then sealed with heat from a flat iron. The heat helps to activate the keratin, causing it to penetrate the hair shaft and form a protective layer. This layer helps to smooth the hair and reduce frizz, giving it a sleek and shiny appearance.
Keratin treatments can last for several weeks and can be a good option for those looking to temporarily improve the appearance and manageability of their hair. It is important to note that some keratin treatments have formaldehyde, which can be detrimental if not properly handled.
Read more about How to Stop Receding Hairline?
WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF KERATIN TREATMENT?
The origin of keratin hair treatment is not definitively known, but it is believed to have originated in Brazil in the early 2000s. The treatment was developed as a way to smooth and straighten naturally curly or frizzy hair without the need for harsh chemical relaxers. It quickly gained popularity in Brazil and then spread to other countries around the world, becoming a popular hair-smoothing option for those looking for a gentler alternative to traditional chemical straightening treatments. Today, keratin treatments are widely available in hair salons around the world and are a popular choice for those seeking a temporary solution for frizzy or curly hair.
Read more about Causes Of Hair Loss In Teenagers: Treatment And Prevention
HOW IS KERATIN TREATMENT DONE?
Keratin treatment is a popular hair smoothing process that is designed to tame frizzy or curly hair, giving it a sleek and shiny appearance. Here’s how the treatment is done:
- Preparation: Before the treatment, your hair should be washed thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, or product buildup. This will ensure that the keratin solution can be effectively absorbed by the hair shafts.
- Application: The stylist will then apply the keratin solution evenly to your hair, making sure that every strand is covered. The solution contains keratin protein, which will help to strengthen and smooth your hair.
- Blow-Drying: Once the solution has been applied, your hair will be blow-dried using a hair dryer and a round brush. This helps to remove any excess moisture and prepare your hair for the next step.
- Flat-Ironing: The final step is to flat-iron your hair. This is the most critical step in the treatment as the heat from the flat iron will activate the keratin and help it to penetrate the hair shafts. Your stylist will use a high-heat flat iron to smooth out your hair in small sections, starting at the roots and working their way down to the tips.
- Cool Down: After the flat-ironing process is complete, your hair should be allowed to cool down for a few minutes. This will allow the keratin to set properly, resulting in a smoother and shinier appearance.
- Wash: After the treatment, you should avoid washing your hair for at least 72 hours. This will give the keratin enough time to penetrate and bond with your hair shafts. After the waiting period, you can go ahead and wash your hair as normal.
THE BENEFITS OF KERATIN TREATMENT
Keratin treatments have become increasingly popular in recent years, as more people seek a solution to tame frizzy or curly hair. Keratin is a protein that is naturally found in our hair, skin, and nails, and it is the main component of hair, nails, horns, claws, hooves, and feathers of mammals, reptiles, and birds. When used in hair treatments, the keratin is combined with other ingredients to form a solution that can be applied to the hair to help improve its texture, manageability, and overall appearance.
Here are some of the key benefits of getting a keratin treatment:
- Smooth and Silky Hair: One of the main benefits of keratin treatment is the way it can smooth and straighten frizzy or curly hair. The treatment works by penetrating the hair shafts and bonding with the hair fibers, which helps to smooth out the hair and reduce frizz. This results in a sleeker, more manageable head of hair that is easier to style and looks smoother and shinier.
- Frizz Reduction: Keratin treatment can be especially beneficial for those with frizzy or curly hair, as it helps to tame unruly locks and reduce frizz. The treatment works by coating the hair shafts with a protective layer of keratin, which helps to lock in moisture and prevent the hair from expanding and contracting in response to changes in temperature and humidity. This can help to reduce frizz, making hair look smoother and more polished.
- Improved Manageability: One of the biggest benefits of keratin treatment is the way it can make hair more manageable and easier to style. The treatment can help to straighten hair, reducing the need for excessive heat styling and harsh chemicals, which can cause damage over time. The result is hair that is easier to brush, style, and maintain, even in humid conditions.
- Faster Styling Time: Because keratin treatment helps to smooth and straighten hair, it can also reduce the amount of time it takes to style your hair each day. This can be especially beneficial for those who struggle to tame frizzy or curly hair, or who have to spend a lot of time styling their hair each day. With a keratin treatment, hair is smoother, making it easier to style and requiring less time to get ready each day.
- Protection from Heat and Environmental Damage: Keratin treatment can also help to protect hair from heat and environmental damage, making it a great option for those who use heat-styling tools regularly. The treatment works by creating a barrier around the hair shafts, which helps to protect the hair from damage caused by heat stylings, such as flat irons and hair dryers. It can also help to protect hair from environmental factors, such as sun exposure, wind, and humidity, which can cause damage over time.
- Longevity: Another benefit of keratin treatment is that it can last for several weeks, making it a cost-effective solution for those who want to improve the appearance and manageability of their hair. The treatment can typically last for 4-6 weeks, depending on the frequency of washing and other factors, such as exposure to heat and humidity. This means that you can enjoy smoother, sleeker hair for an extended period without the need for frequent touch-ups.
- Suitable for All Hair Types: Another great aspect of keratin treatment is that it can be used on all hair types, including fine, thick, curly, and frizzy hair. The treatment can be customized to suit your hair type, making it a versatile option for those looking to improve the appearance and manageability of their hair.
Know more about PRP for Hair Loss: Does it Work, and Is It Safe?
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAIR AFTER KERATIN TREATMENT?
Taking care of your hair after a keratin treatment is essential for maintaining the smooth and sleek look of your hair. Keratin is a protein naturally found in your hair that helps to keep it strong and healthy, but over time, it can become damaged and break down. Keratin treatment helps to restore this protein, leaving your hair looking and feeling its best. However, to ensure that your keratin treatment lasts as long as possible, you need to take proper care of your hair afterward. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your keratin treatment:
- Wait at least 72 hours before washing your hair: After your keratin treatment, it is important to wait at least 72 hours before washing your hair. This gives the keratin time to fully penetrate and bond with your hair, ensuring that the treatment lasts as long as possible.
- Use sulfate-free shampoos: Sulfates are harsh chemicals that can strip your hair of its natural oils and damage the keratin treatment. To prevent this, it is recommended to use sulfate-free shampoos when washing your hair. These shampoos are gentler on your hair and will help to maintain the smooth and sleek look of your hair for longer.
- Avoid using hot tools: Using hot tools, such as flat irons and curling irons, can damage your hair and cause the keratin treatment to break down. To prevent this, try to avoid using these tools for at least two weeks after your treatment. If you must use hot tools, make sure to use a heat protectant spray, and keep the heat setting on low to minimize damage.
- Avoid tying your hair tightly: Tying your hair too tightly can cause damage to your hair and put a strain on the keratin treatment. Instead, try to wear your hair loose, or tie it back in a low ponytail or bun.
- Don’t swim in pools or the ocean: Chlorine and salt can both cause damage to your hair and strip the keratin treatment. To prevent this, it is recommended to avoid swimming in pools or the ocean for at least two weeks after your treatment. If you do go swimming, make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly with fresh water afterward to remove any chlorine or salt.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment: A deep conditioning treatment can help to maintain the smooth and sleek look of your hair, as well as provide extra moisture to your hair. Try to use a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week to keep your hair healthy and looking its best.
- Don’t overuse hair products: Overusing hair products can weigh down your hair, causing it to become greasy and dull. To prevent this, only use the products that you need, and be careful not to overuse them.
- Don’t neglect your hair: Neglecting your hair can cause it to become dry, brittle, and prone to breakage. To prevent this, make sure to treat your hair with care, and use a leave-in conditioner or hair oil to keep it nourished and healthy.
- Consult with a professional: If you’re not sure how to take care of your hair after your keratin treatment, it is recommended to consult with a professional hairstylist. They can give you personalized advice on how to maintain the smooth and sleek look of your hair, and help you to avoid any potential damage.
HOW TO DO KERATIN TREATMENT AT HOME?
Keratin treatment is a hair smoothing process that helps to reduce frizz, improve shine, and make your hair easier to manage. Normally, a keratin treatment is done in a hair salon, but with the right tools and instructions, it is possible to do it at home. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do a keratin treatment at home:
- Preparation: Before you start the treatment, make sure that your hair is clean, dry, and free of any styling products. You will also need to gather all the necessary tools, including a keratin treatment solution, a brush, a blow dryer, and flat iron.
- Apply the keratin treatment: Start by dividing your hair into sections, and apply the keratin treatment to each section, starting from the roots and working your way to the ends. Make sure to cover each strand evenly, and avoid getting the solution on your skin, as it can irritate.
- Wait for the solution to dry: After you have applied the solution to your hair, wait for it to dry completely. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the type of keratin treatment solution that you are using.
- Blow dry your hair: Once the solution is dry, use a blow dryer on a low heat setting to dry your hair. Make sure to work in sections, and focus the dryer on the roots first, and then on the ends. This will help to evenly distribute the solution, and ensure that the treatment is fully absorbed by your hair.
- Flat iron your hair: Once your hair is completely dry, use a flat iron to straighten your hair. Start from the roots, and work your way to the ends, making sure to apply enough heat to activate the keratin. Do not go over the same section more than twice, as this can cause damage to your hair.
- Wait for your hair to cool: After you have finished flat ironing your hair, let it cool for about 10 minutes. Do not touch or comb your hair during this time, as this can disrupt the treatment.
- Rinse your hair: Once your hair has cooled, rinse it thoroughly with warm water to remove any excess solution. Do not use any shampoos or conditioners, as this can strip your hair of the treatment.
- Blow dry your hair again: After rinsing your hair, blow dry it again, this time on a high heat setting, to seal in the treatment. Make sure to work in sections, and focus the dryer on the roots first, and then on the ends.
- Wait at least 72 hours: After your keratin treatment, it is important to wait at least 72 hours before washing your hair. This gives the keratin time to fully penetrate and bond with your hair, ensuring that the treatment lasts as long as possible.
Doing a keratin treatment at home can be a cost-effective way to get smooth and sleek hair, but it is important to follow these steps carefully to ensure that the treatment is done correctly. If you’re unsure about doing the treatment at home, it is recommended to consult with a professional hair stylist to get their advice. They can help you determine if a keratin treatment is right for your hair type, and give you personalized instructions on how to do it properly.
SOME FAQS REGARDING KERATIN TREATMENT
Is Keratin Treatment Safe?
Keratin treatment is generally considered safe, but like all hair treatments, it can have potential side effects. Some people may be allergic to the ingredients in the keratin treatment solution, which can cause itching, redness, and even rashes on the scalp and skin. It is important to consult with a hairstylist before getting treatment, especially if you have any health conditions or are pregnant. They can help you determine if a keratin treatment is right for your hair type, and advise you on the best way to do it safely.
How To Keep The Results Of Keratin Treatments For Longer?
To keep the results of keratin treatment for longer, follow these steps:
- Wait 72 hours before washing your hair
- Use sulfate-free shampoos
- Avoid heat styling tools
- Use a heat-protectant spray
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated pools
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your keratin treatment and keep your hair looking smooth and sleek for longer.
Is Keratin Treatment Expensive?
The cost of a keratin treatment can differ depending on several factors, such as the length and thickness of your hair, the location of the salon, and the type of keratin treatment used. On average, a keratin treatment can cost anywhere from 2500/- to 5000/-, with the average cost being around 3500/-. Some salons may charge more or less than this, depending on their location and the level of service they provide. It is also possible to do a keratin treatment at home, using a home kit, which can cost anywhere from 600/- to 800/-. However, it is important to note that doing a keratin treatment at home can be more challenging and may not produce the same results as getting it done at a salon by a professional stylist.
How Much Time Does It Take To Get Keratin Treatment Done?
The time it takes to get a keratin treatment done can vary depending on the length and thickness of your hair, as well as the method used to apply the treatment. Typically, a keratin treatment takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to complete. The process usually involves washing and drying the hair, applying the treatment, and then using a flat iron to seal it in. If you have long or thick hair, the process may take longer, as each section of hair needs to be treated and flat ironed. Additionally, some salons may use a more thorough or time-consuming process, which can increase the time it takes to complete the treatment.
Is The Keratin Used In Keratin Treatment Plant Derived?
The type of keratin used in keratin treatments can vary, and some keratin treatments use plant-derived keratin, while others use animal-derived keratin.
Plant-derived keratin is typically made from plant proteins, such as soy or corn, and is a more natural alternative to animal-derived keratin. It is a popular choice for those who prefer natural or organic products, or who have concerns about using animal-derived products.
Animal-derived keratin, on the other hand, is typically made from sheep wool or human hair and is commonly used in keratin treatments. It is considered more effective than plant-derived keratin, as it contains more of the same proteins found in human hair.
A keratin treatment can be a great option for those looking to reduce frizz and improve the overall health and appearance of their hair. Whether you have curly, wavy, or straight hair, a keratin treatment can help leave your hair looking smooth, sleek, and manageable for several months.
However, it is important to keep in mind that a keratin treatment is a chemical process that involves applying a keratin-based solution to your hair, so it’s important to do your research and choose a reputable salon or stylist to ensure the best results. Additionally, it’s important to follow the after-care instructions to extend the life of the treatment and avoid damaging your hair.