Hair loss refers to a loss of hair in a minimal area or whole body. It is also known as alopecia or baldness. Hair loss in some people may cause psychological distress.
Leading causes of hair loss are:
- Family history (heredity)
- Very stressful events
- Hormonal changes
- Medical conditions
- Medications like radiotherapy to the head may also lead to baldness
Various signs and symptoms observed with hair loss include
- The most common type of hair loss is gradually thinning on top of the head, which affects both men and women as they age.
- In some people, circular or patchy bald spots are observed on the scalp. The skin may become itchy or painful before the hair falls out.
- A physical or emotional shock may result in the sudden loosening of hair, which may come out when combing or washing our hair. This psychological shock results in overall hair thinning.
- Some health conditions and medical treatments such as chemotherapy for cancer may result in loss of hair. But this hair usually grows back.
- Patches of scaling that spread over the scalp are a sign of ringworm. These patches are accompanied by broken hair redness and swelling.
Certain hairstyles and treatments may also lead to hair loss. Significant weight loss may also lead to hair loss.
Read more about Hair Transplant Cost in Hyderabad
How to prevent hair loss
- By avoiding tight hairstyles such as braids, buns or ponytail
- By avoiding twisting rubbing or pulling the hair.
- By avoiding hard treatments such as curling, hot oil treatment.
- By avoiding medication and supplements that cause hair loss
- By protecting hair from sunlight and other sources of UV light
- By stopping smoking
- By using a cooling cap when being treated with chemotherapy
Various ways to stop or reduce hair loss:
- Washing hair regularly with a mild shampoo
- Using vitamins for hair loss
- Enriching our diet with protein
- Massaging the scalp with Essential oil
- Avoiding brushing wet hairs
- Applying garlic juice onion juice or ginger juice to the scalp
- Drinking sufficient water and keeping ourself hydrated
- Rubbing green tea into the hair
Certain essential oils like Sandalwood, lavender, rosemary, and thyme oils have been used to treat hair loss over a hundred years.
Two drugs were approved by the US FDA to treat hair loss. They are Minoxidil and Finasteride. Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, is a water-soluble vitamin that is helpful for hair loss. It has been shown to promote hair growth, thicken the hair strand and prevent hair loss. A balanced diet filled with lots of nutrients will help in the growth of hair. The food we eat should contain vitamins and minerals that support healthy hair growth. Vitamin C, biotin, niacin iron, and Zinc.
Coconut oil helps to strengthen hair and scalp by reducing hair breakage and making hair less brittle. Nutrients in the onion juice applied to the hair nourish the hair follicle and increase the volume shine and their strength.
The root cause of genetic hair loss is dihydrotestosterone, a byproduct of testosterone that shrinks individual hair follicles until they eventually stop producing hair.
Treatments for hair loss:
- Drugs that were approved by the FDA for treating hair loss are Minoxidil and Finasteride.
- Laser treatments are the latest frontier in staving off hair loss.
- Hair transplantation is done using follicular unit strip surgery or follicular unit extraction.
Minoxidil widens blood vessels and allows more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to reach the hair follicle and stimulate hair to grow.
Laser treatment is done using hair max ultimate 12 laser comb that stimulates the cells within the hair follicle. This hair max ultima 12 laser comb has to be glided slowly over the scalp. Treatment is done for about eight minutes for three days a week for the best results. It helps to stimulate hair growth and increase density and fullness. Many Dermatologists recommend using laser treatment along with minoxidil.
Read more about PRP Hair Loss Treatment
Hands-free laser LED light therapy which is used for hair regrowth and rejuvenation, costs about Rs. 32,000/-.
Laser hair growth comb used for hair loss therapy costs about Rs.1,000/-.
Hair transplant treatment is done by the surgeon, initially cleaning the scalp and numbing the back of the head. Then one of the two methods (Follicular unit strip surgery or follicular unit extraction) is selected for the transplant.
In follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), a 6- to 10-inch strip of skin is removed from the back of the head by the surgeon. The removed piece is set aside, and the scalp is sewed and closed. The hair around it immediately hides this area. Next, the strip of removed scalp is divided into 500 to 2,000 tiny grafts by the surgeon’s team, each with an individual hair or just a few hairs. The number, type of graft obtained depends on the type, quality, color of the hair, and the size of the area where the transplant is getting done by the individual.
In the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method, the back of the scalp is shaved initially, and then the hair follicles will be removed one by one from there by the surgeon’s team. The area heals with small dots, which are covered with existing hair.
The rest of the procedure is the same. After the preparation of the grafts, the surgeon cleans and numbs the area where the hair will go, creates holes or slits with a scalpel or needle, and delicately places each graft in one of the holes.
Hair Transplant Treatment in Hyderabad costs about Rs. 38,000/-
Possible side effects include:
Unwanted hair growth on the adjacent skin of the face and hands, and
The rapid increase in heart rate (tachycardia).