Are you having curly or coarse dense hair? Then you may also suffer from ingrown hair? Surprisingly what is an ingrown hair? Usually, when hair grows, it should be grown out of the skin, but in case, if the hair turns back and curled again inside the skin, then it’s called ingrown hair. These ingrown hairs are not only unsightly, but also creates inflammation which results in itchiness, and may form a pimple-like wound on the skin. Are you searching for easy tips on How to get rid of ingrown hair? Then this article is for you! Continue reading….
- 1 What is an Ingrown Hair?
- 2 What are the Causes of Ingrown Hair?
- 3 What Does An Ingrown Hair Look Like?
- 4 What Is An Ingrown Hair Cyst?
- 5 Where Do You Get Ingrown Hair?
- 6 What Causes Ingrown Hair?
- 7 How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair?
- 8 How to Prevent Ingrown Hair?
- 9 Get help from dermatologists at ChooseClinic,
What is an Ingrown Hair?
As stated in the introduction, ingrown hairs are the ones that didn’t grow out of the skin, instead, they will be curled back & they will again grow inside the skin. And this results in the formation of red bumps and lesions in & around the skin. As this causes itchiness, these ingrown hairs will create skin rashes and affects the look and texture of your skin. This is the main problem for those who are having dense curly hair in the armpits, hands, legs, and other parts of the body.
What are the Causes of Ingrown Hair?
- Those with curly and coarse hair suffers a lot with ingrown hair, as this kind of hair is easy to bend and can grow inward inside the skin.
- Those with high secretion of sex hormone may have a lot of hair growth and this results in lot of ingrown hair.
- Razor bumps known as Pseudo folliculitis is most commonly found in man due to the sharp edges of a razor while shaving and this results in bunches of ingrown hair.
- Compared with women, men are at more risks as they have thick and dense hair on their body.
What Does An Ingrown Hair Look Like?
Ingrown hairs form as round bumps called papules. For some people, it will be filled with pus and it’s called pustules. Sometimes, this ingrown hair will cause pain or itching and also cause skin pigmentation.
What Is An Ingrown Hair Cyst?
Since this ingrown hair forms a red bump filled with pus, this may also turn into a cyst. This cyst looks like a large bump that extends between the skin’s upper layer and deep underneath the skin cuticles. The cyst can be a red, white, or yellowish appearance and it can be painful and cause skin irritation.
Where Do You Get Ingrown Hair?
Ingrown hair can occurs anywhere in the body if you have dense or coarse hair. A common sight for ingrown hair might be:-
- Genital parts and other private parts
- Face, chin and arm pits
- Chest, mainly for men
- Thigh, buttock, legs and hand
What Causes Ingrown Hair?
Shaving with Too Sharp Razor:
When you shave the skin too closely with sharp razors, then it can create red bumps and results in ingrown hair. Also, another reason is – when shaving is done in the wrong direction, it can cause a hair to bend, curl, and grown inside back into the skin.
Just like shaving, waxing in the wrong direction can also give the chance for the hair strands to curl back and cause ingrown hair growth, and this results in hair cysts. If you do waxing in areas like legs, hands, armpits, and other genital parts, then there is a higher chance to get ingrown hair and ingrown hair cyst.
Non-Professional Hair Removal Treatment:
Whether it’s a hair removal method such as shaving or waxing, if it’s done in a non-professional way, then it can result in ingrown hair.
How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair?
If you are searching for the best way to get rid of that ingrown hair from your body, then your search ends here! Here we have given the number of methods available to get rid of that ingrown hair at ease. Before choosing the treatment, it’s advisable to check with your dermatologist. Also, as per the expert advice, do not try any home remedies or DIY methods to remove that ingrown hair, as they can even result in skin infection or skin rashes.
Laser Hair Removal Treatment: Choosing Laser Hair Removal is the most effective treatment for ingrown hair. This treatment not only removes ingrown hair, but also makes the hair follicle become ineffective, and thus no more ingrown hair. Dermatologists use the principle of selective photothermolysis STPL with a specific wavelength of light strikes and these rays penetrate deeper into the skin and kill the hair follicle which stops the growth of ingrown hair. This Laser Hair Removal Treatment helps in curing hyperpigmentation and other rashes on the skin.
Chemical Peels: This exfoliation is done by dermatologists using plant extract. This treatment can help in preventing and controlling ingrown hair, as well as removes dead skin cells. Enriched with glycolic acid and salicylic acid, these chemical peels can help in treating ingrown hair and also keep the skin pores open.
Other Medications and Antibiotics: You can use medications, which can help you in exfoliating and removes dead skin cells. Also, some dermatologists may suggest using steroids to reduce inflammation and redness caused due to ingrown hair growth.
How to Prevent Ingrown Hair?
- Do not use traditional hair removal methods such as shaving, tweezing, or plucking as it may increase the growth of ingrown hair.
- Choose full body Laser Hair Removal Treatment, so it will cure the problem of ingrown hair for a longer period.
- Do not shave your hair with sharp razor and don’t shave too closely, as it will open skin pores and give the chance for bacteria to enter into it. And this results in ingrown hair growth and skin inflammation. You can also use gel and warn water after shaving.
- Don’t do waxing or shaving in the wrong direction, as it will tend the hair to curl back and grow inside the skin.
- Follow the good skin care routine by exfoliating the dead skin cells
- Keep your skin moisturized and hydrated by deep cleansing
Get help from dermatologists at ChooseClinic,
If you ever had ingrown hair, then you will know how painful & irritating it would be! Ingrown hair can be found anywhere, from the legs, bikini line, hands or armpits, and even in the jawline, but what really matters, how you get rid of it! Get more tips & consultation from our experts at ChooseClinic!